Saturday, August 21, 2010

Orientation Reflection Post

Okay, let's move that new orientation experience from your short term memory into the long term data bank of your brain, where it will enrich your future packages.

Think about the experience, from the start on Monday 8/16, when you received your assignment and your team members until the wee hours of Sunday morning, when you said those liberating words, "That's a wrap!" and headed for the library to sleep (or make music videos).

Include the following in your comment:
  1. Describe one or two of the "aha's" or strategies or insights that you gained during this experience. Be very very specific. Not, "I learned that you need to capture action-reaction" but "I learned to follow up an action shot like a poster coming out of the printer with a reaction shot like the smiles of the person who ordered the print job."
  2. Describe your specific jobs for the package (all of them from start to finish.
  3. Then, describe what you learned, both successes and failures,"on the job." Remember that some of the best learning happens when things go wrong, so be sure to include the tragedies as well as the triumphs.


DUE: Monday, 8/23/10

21 comments:

kelleh! said...

"AHA'S":
I learned that we need to go into depth with our stories like how our story dealt with the grandson 'James" & how we should introduce him as a character.

JOBS:
I helped/explained to BJ1 how to work with what you have & was 'boss'
I prepared the script, along with shellee & the help of ren
& edited minor parts
plus, host taped

SUCCESS:
we got the job done on time, stuck to the schedule, & finished without a sweat (but definitely frustration)
we found our story & stuck with it all the way through

FAILURES:
not the best b-roll
should have got more information
should have got the interviewee to 'open up'

Anonymous said...

Destrie

"aha" moment-
I remember during our interviews some of the conversation was very emotional and I think not only me, but Jody as well learned how to ask the right questions to bring stories and emotion from our interviews, and we brought both interviews to tear up(:

Jobs-
Camera for b-roll, help Jody through interview, write script with Charina

Successes and Failures-
I learned how to get "gold coins" from interviews by just keep pushing and pushing for some story. I knew how to do this before but the overnighter was a success because you could see, feel, and hear our interview's emotion!

I also learned that even though you have ALOT of good sound bytes and emotion, you still need info in your scripts. For our script we had to revise maybe 3 times, because all though we had strong sound bytes and emotion, we still could not put enough info into our script. Even though you want to put emotion in your package, you still need to inform people about your subject, which we had a problem inserting into the script

Kayla said...

Aha Moments :
With our package we found it difficult to find a story, and put everything together. So after going through everything and thinking about what we could do our Aha moment was to : "make the problem our story."

Jobs:
I was the reporter I sat down and talked with David Uno
I helped edit along with everyone else in the group we each had a part in editing
I did the voice overs

Success:
With difficulty finding a story we were able to finally put one together in the end and it actually came out pretty good.

Failures:
When we were doing our interview we encountered some problems with the camera.
When looking through our B-roll we started thinking of things we should have got but didn't.

czarina_caberto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
czarina_caberto said...

Aha's: I learned how to organize the sound bites, VO's, etc. in a way that would make everything flow and make sense rather than just having random words bunched up altogether making no sense at all. I also learned that sometimes it's really hard to get the answers that you want out of the person that you are interviewing, so you have to make sure that what they say can become a new (possibly improved) story.
--------
Jobs:
-I was the reporter and asked a couple of questions to the Forty Niner's owner, Will, and his family members with the help of Robynn.
-I did the voice overs.
-I helped edit the package.
-I, along with the entire group, picked some of the "most interesting sound bites" and b-roll that can be used for our package.
--------
Success: Looking back at all the problems that we faced (I will mention the problems in "failures"), I realized that the story that we ended up with was better than I thought it was gonna be.
--------
Failures:
As I have mentioned before, we faced many problems. Some of them were:
-REALLY BAD sound quality since the restaurant was by Kam highway.
-Difficulty of getting the workers to say what we wanted them to say.
-Interview was done really late because the owner wanted us to interview them after closing and they all seemed to be rushing. So, no extra b-roll that could've been really good was shot after the interview.
AND...
-We didn't finish our package yet :(

Jody said...

"AHA" MOMENTS: I learned what kind of questions get really good answers from your subject. Like "what was your biggest struggle in your lifetime?"
If you are interviewing someone else about your subject "If you could describe (subject's name) in one word what would that be and why?" "If you could tell (subject's name) one thing what would it be?

JOB: I taught my team how to use the cameras
Got some broll
I interviewed both subjects with the help of destrie
I logged and streamcliped all the video files
Edited

SUCCESS:
we got really good sound bites from both of our interviews and lots of broll which made it easier to edit.

FAILURES: I dont think the broll matched the sound bites and vos. And we framed both our interviews the same. We didnt get any sequences.

Anonymous said...

"AHA" MOMENTS: I learned how to record using the SLR cameras from Jody. I also learned that the more broll, the better. I observed the interviews and noticed that if you turn their answer into a question, and ask that right after to clarify, you get a more detailed answer (LIKE JODY DID haha). Also learned minor usage of final cut. And how what transcripting and scripting is!

JOB: I worked with the camera, recording, once I knew how to use it. Also made sure the mic. was working during the interviews. Did a lot of transcripting. Some scripting as well, that was difficult. Plus VOs.

SUCCESS: Completed! Yay :) We got a really good sound bite from Rosalie ("...Without dance, I wouldn't have a life."). A lot of broll. Surviving the audio difficulties (with the work of Jody)!

FAILURES: Air condition on during interview, so the noise was heard. Interviews on same side. Couldn't help Jody out that much with editing since I didn't know how to use final cut and we were on a schedule :( And no sequences..

RaEvYn:) said...

"Aha":
We had trouble trying to find a story, until we actually watched and listened to the interview and ended up learning that we have to "make the problem our story."

Jobs:
I wrote down the "gold coins" of the interview so it would be easier to find later on when we edit and i helped cut up the video to make it easier to identify the B-roll and the interview itself.

Success:
We got to finish our interview and we were able to get a good story out of it that we thought we would have never found :)

Failure:
In the beginning of the interview, we started off rough because our camera had technical difficulties and we had to ask our interviewee if we could redo the interview again.

Alexy, said...

"AHA" MOMENT:
I learned that even though it may be difficult when finding your story, you have to take what is given to you and find a way to make it work. With our team, we "made the problem our story".

JOBS:
I helped with the scripting part and wrote out what was said in our interview with David Uno

SUCCESS:
We were able to find a story even though it was a difficult task. We also were able to make the best of our interview.

FAILURES:
We ran through many different problems while at Aiea Copy Center such as problems with our camera and tape. To solve this, we needed to interview David Uno another time.

nakoa said...

"AHA'S":
I learned that as a group we should use the tripod more often and as a interview I think we should've got the other employees for back up or in case the interviewer gave a better byte.

JOBS:
Worked on the camera during the interview. I took some b-rolls. help think of the blurb with shellee. I also helped edit the video(adding brolls).

SUCCESS:
We finished everything on time and we stayed on schedual and we used what we had and applied it to our video.

FAILURES:
We had a very good b-roll but didn't have sound. shaky shots. should've made the interviewer to open up more and we should've gave more info.

Shell said...

"Aha":
Well like Kelly said it was really good how we learned that this generation might be the business last and how we introduced someone new. I think that helped give our story more depth.

Jobs:
-I did half of the filming for the interviews with Nakoa.
-I took some b-roll
-I asked some questions when we were doing the interview
-I helped write the script with Kelly and helped organize it for our piece.
- I edited some of the b-roll

Success- We got a good story (the generation thing). We were mostly on schedule and paced our time out pretty well for missing two people at the same time. We stayed focused and calm throughout the night, even when things did get frustrating.

Failures-
We could have stayed longer to get better NAT sound and b-roll. We could have interviewed more people to get other perspectives. We should have tried to find a customer who was getting their car fixed and eating. In the beginning we had some technical difficulties with the camera.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
daphnejayne said...

"AHA'S";
-Looking at different views and sides of the story. Like interviewing the grandson & a non-family. Since one of the non-family worker said that he was working for them for a long time & it was like family (plus he was really happy!)

JOB:
-Reporter (interview, questions)
-operated camera/shots
-Edited
-Voice overs (2).

SUCCESS;
-We were ahead of time & was before/on time of schedule.
-Soild story.

FAILURES;
-Shaky shots
-Didn't portray "friendly hospitality" in video (smiles & happiness)
-Interviewed more happy person & even a non-family member.

. said...

Desha Garcia

"AHA":
An aha that I experienced was during our shoot that if you intereact with the owners kids and they like you, its a good thing because it shows the owner that they trust you haha. but anyways an aha was when we actually got a byte from the owners kids and when we watched over our package as a class our audiences reactions were "aw they're so cute" so I think having kids in packages make the packages more interesting (:


Job:
I was the photographer for the interview and I filmed some broll while i let the other BJ1's try to film broll also. I did some of the scripting and edited what was left of the package when i came back from the game. I also worked on the audio.

Successes:
We had a very good person to interview because he felt very comfortable talking to us. Also we edited and finished the package after a while of looking for a focus.

Failures:
Audio because in the restaurant the best shots are in the back, in the kitchen but it was very loud because of some kind of fan or something in the back. Also we didnt have that much sequences.

Anonymous said...

AHAS:
The quote "everybody has a story" came alive that night to me and my team. So much work was put into that package and a excelled.

JOB:
I was cameraman.
Took the leadership role of giving each of my members a job to do.
Putting the whole package together.

SUCCESS:
Really made nothing into something.
Bloomed this story into a success.
Bonded with my team members
Made unforgettable memories.

FAIL!:
NEED MORE BROLL
We shouldve have spent more time on choose a series of questions that will have the subject open up.

Anonymous said...

Aha:
An Aha that I experienced in this shoot was when I really started to feel how far I’ve come from the beginning as a reporter. I felt that my subject was really comfortable and like it was a conversation. It also helped that he was very lively and full of personality. Also the fact that his children were involved in the story really had a extra element to the whole story.
Job:
My job in this package was to do reporter and to help the newbie’s learn how to make a package. As I mentioned before I really feel confident in the fact that the interview went really well. And as for teaching the newbie’s how to set a package together, I feel that they learned very well and have a feel for what to do. I actually was very impressed so that’s a good thing.
Success:
Some success that I had with this package had to be our interview subject as I mentioned he was very easy to talk to, and had a lot of good things to say. Also I feel that our package in general was a success. We had really nice sequences and sound pops and it really just came together nicely.
Failure:
I think a failure we had was the depth of the story. I filled that it was okay but maybe we could of got more of a deeper background story.
-Marissa

Daryenne. said...

Oh my gosh, don't get me started.. -__-

This is my second BJ overnighter, and I am proud to see how far I came along with all the skills I gained from this class. Being placed in a group as the only vet worried me at first. My partners were new and I had to help guide them in what to do. I learned to be a leader, which I am normally afraid of, and taking the responsibility in helping to teach and guide the newbys. I learned that you really need to pay attention to your audio and make sure there is no background noise (such as a/c) so that you have clean audio.

Our interview was scheduled to be at 1, but we went early hoping that we could get b-roll of him teaching kids. But things didn't go according to plan. I had to ask Roy Sakuma three different times, approaching him in different ways asking for permission to film him teaching. I was behind the camera. When we got to school, my group and I all contributed to the editing and scripting. And boy.. was that a lot of work -__-

Our successes were getting good sound bytes, getting good b-roll, and pulling through with getting him to film him teaching.

Our failures were having difficulty getting permission to film him teaching, getting the a/c in the background during his interview, and not having pictures or any other b-roll for the bytes talking about his past.

I'm proud of my group, good job BJ I! :D

Daryenne. said...

& another failure/difficulty we had was picking a story because Roy Sakuma had more than three stories to tell! -__-

Anonymous said...

Amber

"aha" moment
The orientation was the very first time I ever interview someone "officially" and I learned the whole structure of it. I learned how to not jus ask questions from what I had planned but to follow the flow of the interview to get the stuff we needed for our story.It's better to have more than less.

Job
I was in charge of the interview and coming up of most of the questions. Help write script with Dary. Attempted some editing.

Success
We had great interview
We had good nat sound
Good sound bites and B-roll

Failures
we had a hard time initially getting Roy Sakuma to let us film him teaching but we got it done. We also had to go back adn re-do the interview because we had a/c noise in our audio. So that was a biter. :/
And we had a hard time sticking with one solid story.

Anonymous said...

Austin

"AHA's":
I learned that if you become more of a friend rather then a peer to your interviewee, they will become more comfortable talking in front of a camera and actually give you some of the good bytes. In our interview we did that with the kids and they talked nicely in front in of the camera.

Jobs:
MY job in our project was to go and look at what the restaurant looked like to make sure we were going to be able to film in there. I also had a little interview i had to do with the kids so i was a part interviewer. I got some of the Broll and i did some of the editing when we came back to the school.

Success:
The person that we interviewed had a really good personality which gave us a good interview. We also finished the package after spending some time looking for a focus.

Failures:
The failures i think were that we didn't get some of the NAT sound pops we wanted because when we were getting some Broll in the back, there was like a vent that was on the whole time so we had a little bad audio with our NAT sound. There weren't that many sequences.

JosephD said...

AHA!:
We needed more info about Wilham Cordez in 49ers. And we could learn more about the place rather than the food. And also how each person plays an important role in the overall structure of the restaurant.

JOBS:
I was the sound guy. The guy with the shotgun mike and i was squatting in most uncomfortable positions to get the right point of audio. I also helped with teh script and parts of editing.

SUCCess!:
We managed a good video and that was the first BJ video i made and im proud of it. granted, there was a few things that could be fixed but i liked it. The script worked and it made a good video.

Fails:
Our video was late and we spent so much time tweaking abd bobbing abuot it. Fixing this and that, complaining that certain things should've been better. We got too little GOOD b-roll and another things was when we were interviewing the grandma, when i weas holding the mike, i tended to lean forward a little bit and my shirt got in the shot. Thankfully however, we didnt use what they said. Well, i don't know but if we did, im sure we covered it with b-roll. }:D