Thursday, October 14, 2010

Story Ideas: Show 63 . . . and beyond . . .

Hi everyone!

These are a few of the ideas that came in on the final exam. I pulled the ones that were specific enough and that seemed to have a valid connection with the reporter...it needed to go beyond something you were "interested" in or something like that...you needed to have a real and personal connection/experience with the topic.

First "right of refusal" belongs to the person who submitted the idea. But that only holds for *this show* And, if you decide NOT to pursue the topic, let me know so that I can re-open it to other staffers.

  1. My first story would be based on my passionate club soccer coach, Justin Neerhof. He has had a full career of soccer, starting from high school, to college, and even the professional men’s league! I think my coach would make a great story because he has had many obstacles, yet, he has still come on top. Coach Justin is 110 percent dedicated to my club, more so his team, my team. He has a personal relationship with every player, and is immediately respected for that. My coach is so important because he bonded our team so well, beginning with a group of soccer players, ending with a bunch of sisters. Nalea

  2. My third story, Kennedy Chance, would inform others of her horses and her interest in riding and competing. She is a student of the class of 2013 at Moanalua High, and on her time out of school, she commits herself to her horses. Snip, her very own horse, competes with her in hurdle competitions. I can understand her relationship with her horse, just as she would understand my relationship with my dogs. Kennedy is so important because she can maintain her education and care for her horses as well. Nalea

  3. My fourth story would be on my cousin’s fiancĂ©. `Aukai DeFormer is a crew member of the infamous Hokulea. This Hawaiian canoe was well known for its long journey to Tahiti and back, in 1976. Only those speaking fluently Hawaiian my come aboard and travel on the Hokulea. He sails on this canoe almost once every month, using the stars to navigate him. I was allowed onto the Hokulea as a guest, and noticed how much they work to survive while sailing. This is important because it is such a legend and story to the fellow Hawaiians, and we are all in awe knowing that it had survived its voyage and is still sailing today. Nalea

  4. Cheap Design Threads
    • Who: Fish Loaves
    • What: A locally owned boutique that aims at being able to provide people with an inexpensive alternative to designer clothing. All items in the store are under $40.00.
    • Where: Samsung Plaza on Ke’eamoku
    http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12940629
    This has a personal connection to me because I like fashion and I try to look for nice clothes that are not really expensive, so I could probably relate to what this boutique is trying to do. This story is important because it shows that there are people that know that most people want affordable clothing and, with the economy right now every little penny counts when saving money, and when buying clothes it is not easy to find nice clothes for an affordable price Shellee

  5. Traveling Preschool Reaches out as Needs Grow
    • Who: Ka Pa’alana
    • What: A traveling pre-school that teaches children from homeless shelter.
    • Where: Keeau Beach Park, Waianae
    This issue has a personal connection to me because I believe that education is very important, and I think that with the help of this traveling pre-school more children will be able to get the education they need to succeed. This is an important issue because children do need to be educated from an early age and with this pre-school now children in homeless shelters will be able to learn and be ready for school Shellee

  6. A 21 year old named Brandis Miyazaki is currently training to be a world champion in the sport of karate. In his past he had difficulties in school and concentrating, but with karate he learned how to use self control and is now training to be a champion.
    My personal connection is that I’ve known him since I was 5, and i’ve seen him on his journey to reaching to be the world champion
    This is important because he has made a big change from a trouble maker to a disciplined, determined young man, and is an inspiration to many other people in the sport. Destrie

  7. Who: Chase Numata
    What: skipping college and going to the pros
    When: This Year
    Where: Hawaii
    Why: It’s a dream to make it to the pros, but going straight from high school is an opportunity of a life time.
    Connection to me is that I also like baseball and Chase is a friend of mine so it would be cool to find out his feelings and thought of being a young pro. This is important because these guys skip a college education putting their life on the line going to the pros. Austin

  8. Teen drivers, older drivers think that all teen drivers are bad drivers, on the road and driving in general. Older drivers think that teens should not be on the road and that we are all bad drivers. My personal connection to this story is that when I talk to older drivers about driving they just assume that we are all bad drivers and that none of us should be driving. It’s important to show that we are all good drivers and that we deserve to be on the road just as much as them and we earned our license so we must be a good driver. Desha

  9. Students are working part time jobs after school. Students are working at fast food restaurants at a nearby shopping center just to make the extra money. Every day after school they go and work. My personal connection to this story is that I work a part time job after school and that I like to make the extra money to buy my own things. It’s important because having a job makes you become more responsible and you learn how to spend your money wisely. It’s good that students are taking the initiative to even get jobs and they get a lot of experience which is good for everyone when we get out to the real world. Desha

  10. 1. Topic : Riding for Angels
    a. Who – Kurt Tsneyoshi
    What – Kurt Tsenyoshi is a business owner, and started the organization Riding for Angels.
    Where – Waialae
    b. My mom while working one day had Kurt Tsneyoshi as a client and she told me about him afterwards, saying what a amazing person he is and what he does. Kurt owns his own limousine company that is his main job, but yet on the side he started an organization called Riding for Angels. This organization was created reason for less fortunate children who don’t have much. So what Kurt does it he gets these kids together and through his limousine business he takes the kids to buy things such as toys and clothes.
    c. It’s important because when my mom was telling me about this story it really touched me. I felt that this man is such an inspiration. Through something he does, he’s able to turn it into a way of changing children’s lives. Kayla

  11. Topic: I love Boobies bracelets
    a. Who – Organization
    What – I love boobies bracelets have become a new craze.
    Where – Shopping stores such as Prototype, Metropark, T&C
    Why –The money of an I love boobies bracelet goes towards finding a cure for breast cancer.
    b. My grandmother died a few years ago from breast cancer , and I think any organization dealing with finding a cure for cancer is great. I first saw the bracelet when at school one of my friends had one and I asked what that was for and found out that each purchase of a bracelet goes towards finding a cure to breast cancer.
    c. It’s important because if these bracelets continue being such a craze, I have hopes that the breast cancer research will have enough money one day to possibly find a cure and save women’s lived dealing with breast cancer.
    Kayla (and Raevyn, Kelly, Charina, and Destrie also had topics dealing w/breast cancer)

  12. . We Value HI
    a. It is a movement that tries to hold onto the value of Hawaii and reaches out to the people of Hawaii of different kinds of issues that are going on here such as education, politics, and local agriculture.
    b. My personal connection to this is that I am part of this movement and I go to different art and music events and I’ve learned a lot about the value of Hawaii.
    c. It is important because we are not seeing the complete value of Hawaii and this movement is showing the best of what Hawaii has to offer. Charina

  13. Hawaii State Student Council (HSSC) is a council made up of the state of Hawaii's districts (ex: Kauai, Maui, Hilo, Central, Honolulu, etc). They have monthly meetings at the state capital, they do a lot of service, meet political leaders, and host leadership conferences (that I went to). HSSC is the council at the state leader and overlooks all of Hawaii's public schools. They propose problems and issues to the DOE that makes our schools stand today. It connects with MY interests because of my current position in SA and leadership roles. I am actually thinking about running for Central district and get on the 2011-2012 council next year. This is so important because these are student leaders in high school that are at the state level with the BOE. Obstacles like being a regular student and enjoying the high school life, but still having that motivation and commitment to the all the hawaii public schools. Hawaii’s children are the future and we need leaders like these to speak what they believe in for the next generations to come. Daphne-Jayne

  14. Laser Surgery for port wine stains (birthmarks) this process is of course laser surgery for children because usually laser surgery for port wine stains are recommended when they are very young because later in the future it will affect them. There are laser clinics located on Oahu. The process is simple but very hurtful. From consultation to the anesthesia and the final outcome, these kids go through this long process that takes a couple years depending how big the port wine stain. Like myself, I have a port wine stain on my right cheek. I know how it’s like being teased, the pain after the surgery, etc, and today I am so strong about how I feel about myself today! (happy, loud, crazy, friendly! Haha.) This is very important because one, it deals with the medical fields and medicine. Two, it shows the hardship of children/teens and even coming of age. Daphne-Jayne

  15. 1. -Theatre opportunities for young children
    (Who-Community theatre’s in hawaii , What- Opportunities that give younger children to audition for shows and perform on stage in a production, Where- All over hawaii When-Yearly, How- They allow all ages to audition. It’s connected to me because it’s a great place to start off a career in musical and I strongly feel that even if you don’t believe you’ll pursue musical theatre its such a great past time that teaches you so many life lessons that you can’t really learn anywhere else. It’s important because some people aren’t aware of the opportunities that are being offered to them in this community at a young age.) Niki

  16. -Zumba
    (Who-Zumba instructors and class takers, What- One hour classes to keep people fit by dancing, Where-All over hawaii in big empty warehouses or spaces, When-Daily, Why-It’s a healthy way to get fit that’s different and effective and fun. My personal connection is that my mom, aunties, and friends mom’s all do zumba daily. It’s important because when I attended a class of zumba I was shocked at the number of people who attend zumba on a daily basis. They do them in warehouses that are big and it’s always full. It’s also fun and very entertaining with the music they choose. Niki

No comments: