Sunday, August 21, 2011

Orientation Reflection

Orientation Reflection
  1. Name and describe two things you learned during orientation
    • something you learned about reporting, interviewing, scripting
    • something you learned about camera work (setting up a shot, angles, framing, lighting, etc.)

  2. Give props to ONE person who helped you through orientation: tell 'em why and how they helped you
  3. Think of ONE WORD that describes this year's leadership; explain why
  4. Suggest ways we can improve next semester's "Sweet 16 SIM"
  5. Post your reflections as comments to this blog. Be sure to identify yourself.

DUE: MON 8/22

17 comments:

Kevin said...

1) Something i learned during this years orientation is how to fix the lighting. This was my first outdoor shoot and i learned how to use the iris and ND filters. In addition, i also learned how to get different angles.

2) I would have to give props to Kai because he helped me with camera and editing. He help me realize that the camera was over exposed because of the sun. In addition, he stayed with me throughout the editing process.

3) One word i would use to describe this year's leadership is "CLUELESS." I picked this word because when i was making the pitch for Mountain Magic Shave Ice, i asked every single person in leadership and none of them really helped me. For Ex: I would ask one person in leadership what to put for B-M-E, they tell me to ask someone else because they don't know the story. I'm not saying they're not helpful, i'm just saying that they should know all the stories because they're leadership and sometimes our mentors don't help us all the time.

4) Well now that this years orientation overnighter is finished, i don't think i would like to improve anything. Our interview came out good and everyone finished by 12 o'clock. Last year we took till like 1-2.

czarina_caberto said...

Czarina Caberto

I learned how to "stage" b-roll effectively. Staging requires the video to be black and white and a bit "dark" to give it that dramatic effect.
I also learned that importing footage into final cut only works on final cut pro since I tried helping Leah and Brittany transfer footage into Final Cut Express and it didn't work. So I transferred the footage using Final Cut Pro and it worked.

My partner, Shellee, helped me so much. We were the smallest group of TWO and we came across so many obstacles such as, having no ride, having to wait 30 minutes for our interview subject to get home, broken mics, the camera falling apart, and scripting problems. Without Shellee, I think I would look like a complete weirdo freaking out every second during our shoot since she was there to calm me down.

One word to describe leadership is APPROACHABLE. Whenever I need help, I can go to ANY one of them. Every time I call out one their names, I don't get blown off or ignored. I don't have a specific favorite mentor to go ask help from since I know that each of them are willing to help even though some of them might not know exactly how to or take a while to help sometimes. Hahaha. But eventually, I WILL get the help I need from one of the leadership.

I think that improvements aren't really necessary since this years overnighter ran really well.

Shell said...

1. What I learned about interviewing during this years orientation is that even though some subjects don't talk a lot you can still get some really good sound bytes out of them. I was a little worried because our subject wasn't really talkative. Something that I learned about camera work is to try not to have interviews outside. We had an outside interview and it the wind was blowing so we had to constantly stop so we didn't have wind blowing mid interview.

2. The person who I have to give props to is my partner Czarina. She was so helpful. Without her I think I would have had a really hard time getting the package done. Even though we were the smalles group, had out interview the latest, and had so many problems, we were one of the earlier ones to turn our package in and we didn't freak out every minute of the night. I owe it to Czarina.

3. One word that describes this years leadership is UNDERSTANDING. I would say that this years leadership is understanding because I'm not hesitant to ask them for help or tell them that I have a problem. I know that they will try to help me fix it and won't yell at me or blow me off.

4. One definate way we can improve next years semester's sweet 16 is by ORGANIZING it so every group has a ride to and from their destination. This orientation my group was freaking out because we didn't have a ride to our interview and had to scramble to call someone who could take us (Thankfully Austin took us). We were about 45 minutes early and had to wait in our subjects garage. Then after we were done we had to call someone else to pick us up. Having a driver for every group would make it less stressful and more organized.

Brittany said...

During orientation, I learned how to overcome my fear of interviewing. I was worried at first, but i somehow learned how to put myself together. I learned that I control the interviewee not the other way around. I learned to smile alot, and ways to avoid too much of the award silence while setting up is to share a little bit about yourself also that way you get more things to talk about. I also learned a little bit about deliverance when doing VO's. I learned to exaggerate certain words in some sentences and to always sound energetic.

I would have to give props to Leah, because even though we were noobies and were lost at some points she was always there trying her best to figure out things when our mentor and BJ 3 was not available. She definitely stuck through all the trouble we all had and always had good ideas to contribute to the team!

It was very MEMORABLE! I had never experienced being so happy and stressed at the same time all in one day! I've grown relationships with some people i had never really known. It was surely one of those unforgettable moments.

I loved bj orientation, although everyone else had hard times with a picking story, which could have been organized a little more, it ran pretty smoothly. :)

RaEvYn:) said...

1. One thing I've learned during the orientation is that even though you're in a cramped area that has kind of bad lighting, you can always pull through with getting a variety of angles and having the interviewee be placed in different positions and having the interview in a more lighted an open environment. Another thing I learned is when you interview someone and ask strong questions and getting them emotional is a really good reaction (even though it's sad to see) and it sets the mood and gives deeper impact on the viewers.

2. I give props to "Jisel" because she drove destrie, rebekah and I around from place to place in Waipahu from the time we left to go to the Festival Market til she dropped us off at school. And even though she had to go, when she came back she was on it on our package :)

3. One word to describe leadership this year is "Lively" haha! Everyone is really energetic, but they're all very helpful and kind of know how to keep calm even when we didn't have a story and we were panicking, Destrie didn't go hay-wire and thanks to her we got our story :)

4. I think that improvements for the Sweet 16 would be to make sure that where ever peoples destinations are that it is POSSIBLE TO GET A STORY WITHIN THEIR AREA!

Leah said...

1) During orientation, I learned how to properly frame an interview and how to not show the interviewer, and only the interview subject. I also learned tips about delivering VO’s while listening to and recording Brittany.
2) I have to give props to Brittany because even when it was just us two newbies, she was always with me, trying to figure out what to do. She had good ideas, and we were able to work through our problems. She was always there, and never gave up.
3) One word to describe this year’s leadership would be, “motivational” because they pushed us to do well and to make sure we put our best effort in.
4) I think that other than the scramble for a story in the beginning, the orientation went really well. Everyone seemed focused, and we finished pretty early, and it ran smoothly overall.

Rebekah said...

1) I learned that when reporting and you don't really know what story you're trying to get, you start off slowly to get them comfortable and when they seem ready, you begin to ask more personal questions. If you still don't really know how to get the real story out, ask group members to quickly suggest questions that would be helpful. Also it is good to know what kind of story you're trying to get out of your interview.
- I also learned that when filming with small spaces, you need to get multiple shots of things because the lighting may be bad. But most of all I learned that when filming outdoors, be careful with the audio because the wind will factor in and might ruin the audio. It's good to make sure that the speaker speaks loud enough for them to talk over the wind, if not move the mic closer. Also it is good to have a steady and stable tripod or the wind would blow the camera, making the shot.. unusable.

2) I would definitely give props to Jisel. She managed to drive us to where we needed to go and she tried to help us as much as she can, knowing that she would have to leave. When we couldn't get a story, she still tried to drive us to places where we could get a story and she didn't complain at all about the driving. Then when she got back to school, she offered to edit and she edited as much as she can.

3) I would describe them as helpful. I'm still new to the broadcast family and this was my first package. I didn't know how most of the parts worked. I didn't know how to script, get a story, transcript, etc. But when I asked the leadership, they would explain in detail how to do it and they would give me examples. They also took the time to help us when we were trying to come up with the titles, blurbs, etc.

4) One thing I would definitely improve is that making sure that there is and will be enough stories for each of the groups in that area. Sometimes things may not work out in the given place and it is sometimes impossible to find another place where we can actually find a story.

Infinity!!! said...

1. Something that i learned this year at orientation is how to fix the lighting on the camera. I also learned new ways to interview. Even if i wasn't the reporter, i still learned what kind of questions to ask to get a good story.

2. I would have to give props to Thea because she helped me get some Broll because i had a part were i didn't know what to get so she told me that she had some things in mind so she took the camera and did it. She was also helping make sure everything was going good with the camera during the interview.

3. One word that i would use to describe this leadership is BIPOLAR. I swear ever other half hour it was a new them. One time they are irritated, the next they're happy then they're stressed and then they're mad again. Sometimes they don't know how to help people thy just try and push them off and tell them to go and get help from anther leadership. Thats confusing too. But they're okay.

4. I dont think anything needs to improve except for the fact that everyone needs to be happy and have no pissyness unless they have a good reason like theyre whole interview got erased. BE HAPPY!!

-Austin Inabata

Jody said...

1. Something I learned this year was that when your doing man on the street you just have to not be shy and ask anyone, because if you don't you don't have a story.

2. I would give props to mel because she was the only one who was here the whole time that helped me. I also think that she learned a lot because I made her do most of the work. Good job Mel (:

3. My word would be UNHELPFUL. Not to be mean or anything but no one was helping me. I asked Micah who was in my group to help with our opening line but he left to do host taping so he called kelly to help us and she asked us what we needed help with and then pretty much just stood in front of us for a good 5 min. I mean i understand that they are busy with what they have to do but yeah.

4. It was good, just make sure everybody has a solid story

Anonymous said...

1) During orientation, I learned a lot about interviewing and scripting. When I was interviewing, I was sorta nervous at first, but my nerves started to ease a bit as I interviewed a few more people. I learned that as long as you smile and ask politely, people will always say yes to you. :) & I learned that scripting takes a pretty long time because you really need to put a lot of thought into your VO’s and it’s really important to choose the right standups in order to keep the package flowing.

2) I’d like to thank Kayla Dilda for helping me through my very first orientation because when I was stuck on writing the script, she taught me how to do it and when I was editing the video and the audio of the car didn’t want to go into final cut, she helped me figure it out. Without her, I would’ve been wasting my time trying to get the car sound.

3) Energetic because they’re always bouncing from place to place trying to get this and that done and at the same time, trying to help the BJI out.

4) I honestly think there's nothing to improve because everything came out good. Everyone finished early enough. The overnighter pretty much says it all.

-Melissa Ponce

Kai said...

1. Something that I learned about interviewing is that your interview subject will not always be willing to do a formal sit-down interview. But if you make the problem your story the informal standing interview can be just as effective.

Something I learned about framing is when you're doing a standing interview you may have to continuously adjust your framing to follow to interview subject.

2. One person that helped me through orientation was "Princess" Kelly. She was our mentor and helped a whole lot on the script. She had lots of other responsibilities and yet she found the time to help us out. (:

3. One word to describe our leadership is: leaders. They really do lead by example and they push us to do our best without being overly bossy.

4. To improve our sweet 16 sim we can mark which cameras have trouble logging so we don't waste time trying to log and capture with a junk camera.

Kai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Jisel Liboy

What I learned during the orientation is the IMPORTANCE of time management. I knew it was important, but I finally experienced it for myself. It took us 4 hours to find a story and yet we managed to turn in a pretty good story on time. Another thing I learned is a better way to connect with the interview subject and become their 'friend.'

One person I give props to is Destrie because everytime I had a question, she was always there with an answer. She was there helping me when we were all panicing about not finding a story, even though she was panicing too. When I left for a couple hours, Destrie was the one keeping me updated and giving me things to do so I could take part in it. Thanks DESTRIE (:

A word that describes this years leadership is ACCOUNTABLE because I can count on them for most of the things that I have questions about, and I can count on them to be there when I need assistance.

I think we can be more planned. Because this overnighter, we suffered from not having a story for 4 hours. I honestly believe that if we had it more planned out, we would've had a back up plan/story.

Anonymous said...

Amber Thomsen

1)I learned how to be ghetto. NO well I learned that being comfortable with the interview subject is important and that the best interviews you have to really listen in order to keep the conversation and you dont have to always go off your notes.
For camera I learned that really close ups show great emotions.

2)I guess one person I would like to thank is Brittany because she took control with the interviewing and even though it is her first year she managed to handle the interview pretty well.

3)One word to describe them is BETTER :) seems like a weak word but I think they are better than last years, their lessons are really helpful and they seem like they know what their doing. And their really fun, but sometimes they do write us off and send us searching for someone else to help us.

4) We can try more interviewing exercises so that reporters could feel a bit more comfortable and camera exercise.

Anonymous said...

Thea Madriaga

During the orientation I learned what kind of questions I should ask to get a good story out of the subject even though I wasn't the reporter. Another thing I learned is to fix the lighting for our b-roll. Some places were darker than others and others were brighter.

I would have to give props to Kayla because her writing skills for the script was unique. She also helped me pick out a couple b-roll shots to fill in for the blank spots.

One word to describe the leadership is UNIQUE. They are weird, loud, obnoxious, and loving but know how to get their stuff done when it needs to be. When they put down they're foot they'll put it down to get our attention.

I think we don't need much improving. We seemed to have our stuff down and ready. We finished earlier than last year by an hour or two and all of our stories were unique.

Anonymous said...

Kayla Dilda
1. This years orientation was really helpful two things I learned is with scripting its important to try and make your VO's simple but effective, and write to bite as well as play with words so that audience says interested. Another thing I learned is with the camera how to change the lighting since it was an outdoor shoot and sometimes we were indoors so how to fix the lighting of the cameras.

2. I would give props to Austin and Thea in my group because during the process of the package they were both there helping me, and with the filming and b-roll they both did a good job when we faced some audio difficulties.

3. One word I would use to describe this years leadership is "Motivating" they were motivating all of us to get our work done pushing us to make sure we got what we needed to get done but was also there to help us along the way.

4.I feel that the orientation went so well, that the sweet 16 could only be better (:

Anonymous said...

1. One thing i learned was that doing a man on the street is a very difficult task and you need to learn how to take rejection because many people are camera shy. Another thing i learned from doing a man on the street is that you need to get over the fear of asking someone to be interviewed because it needs to get done. I also learned ways to keep a camera steady when a tripod cant be used because of a tight space.

2. I would have to give props to Jody because she worked really hard on our package the entire time and managed to get it done even though I was gone for some time.

3. One word to describe our leadership team is RELIABLE because even though they have many things to do we can rely on them to be there for us when we need help.

4. I think one thing that should be improved on is making sure that every team has a story and a backup story that is set.



-Alexis Amian